- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying (I used canola oil)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the shortening, and then the remaining 3 cups of flour. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil. If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough. Drain onto paper towels.
- Shake confectioners' sugar on hot beignets. Serve warm.
Words can NOT describe how good these were. The kids had never had them and they REALLY liked them. YUM. I want some more just thinking about it lol.