Hello you all! I want to keep doing these posts about Cervical Cancer and Prevention and Treatment.
I have so much information that I want to share with you all. As far as my health is concerned, I am still having bloodwork done, and FREQUENTLY. Normally every two weeks. I am on a couple meds and some really good vitamins. If I do not take them... I FEEL IT!!! My doctors are really keeping a close eye on me. It's a wonderful thing!! I am so glad to have good doctors. You guys have no idea. With all that being said, here is a little more info for you to read!!
HPV Vaccine Plus Screening:
What Women Should Know
Provided by http://www.theHPVtest.com
THE FUTURE OF CERVICAL CANCER PREVENTION
With the introduction of the first HPV vaccine, the dream of eliminating cervical cancer is increasingly within reach. Cervical cancer is the only type of cancer for which there is one, specific cause – certain, “high-risk” types of HPV, or human papillomavirus. HPV is a very common, sexually transmitted virus that normally doesn’t cause any problems. But in some women, the infection stays active long enough to cause abnormal cells to form, which can then develop into cervical cancer. With the HPV test, women at high risk can be identified and monitored carefully. And now, the new vaccine (called Gardasil®) allows many HPV infections to be prevented from occurring in the first place.
However, even with the vaccine, women still need a regular Pap and – depending on their age – the HPV test. That’s because:
o The vaccine cannot protect everyone. To be fully effective, the vaccine should be given before a woman’s first sexual experience – in other words, before she may be exposed to HPV. Thus, the ideal time to get the vaccine is during adolescence. That means that for the vast majority of women today, and for many in the future, regular screening is their first and primary weapon against cervical cancer.
o The protection offered by the vaccine is incomplete. There are roughly 13 types of the HPV virus that can cause cervical cancer. The vaccine is designed to target just two “high-risk” types of the virus, which are responsible for 70 percent of all cervical cancers. However, that means it cannot protect women against the remaining 30 percent of cervical cancers that are caused by other “high-risk” types of HPV.
o There are a lot of unknowns. For example, it is not known whether a “booster” vaccine shot will be needed later in life to ensure continued protection.
Thus, both vaccination and HPV screening test are essential tools in the fight against cervical cancer. These general recommendations are emerging from the experts:
* Developed from the 2006 “Educate the Educators” slide set on “HPV and the HPV Vaccines Program,” produced by the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ASCCP).
Gardasil® is a trademark of Merck & Co.
Toodles!!! I hope you all are having a great Saturday!!